Kurdistan

Kurdistan

Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Speech in Gallipolis

October 11th I returned to Gallipolis to speak on my ancestor Dr. Saugrain (look him up online - he was very interesting). My mother, sister and niece came with me. We took some time to check out the sites and museums. There was lots of fall colors and beautiful sunsets. I had my cheering team with me which was wonderful. I really enjoyed speaking and look forward to doing it again. There were about 100 people there and quite a few of them told how they found the story interesting and didn't realize what people went through to travel to America in the late 18th century.

I was awarded a pin and certificate for becoming a member of the First Families of Gallia County. You have to prove lineage to some of the original settlers to the area. The Dr. married the daughter of a friend of his who came over at the same time as he did - so I was able to prove on four people.
Many thanks to my sister Deirdre and niece Diana for coming from SD to be there as well as my mother picking me up in Dayton and enjoying the fall colors with me on the way to Gallipolis. Diana did an incredible job as my technical assistant.

The Our House Museum in Gallipolis has a couple of items they believe belonged to Dr Saugrain. There was a huge fur coat (the Dr was only 4'9" tall) and some bear claw gloves. They were behind glass and the pictures were not very clear. There is no proof...but interesting none the less.
They also had hand drawn portraits of the Dr. brother in law Joseph Guillotine (inventor of the guillotine) and his wife Marie Louisa. All and all - it was a fabulous weekend.

No comments: